January 28, 2009

Ramuma



As I was about to restart my studies, got totally derailed by a song, heard on the radio. At first I thought - what a genuine and beautiful song; afterwards - heck, it's in Lithuanian! It was some listeners choice broadcast where they play everything-whatever the listeners have advised/sent. They didn't name the artist, but luckily the multiple repetition of the song name in it made it possible to look it up and google it out :).

The lyrics are poetic, but the same time abstract and fundamental enough that it takes little effort to see the resemblances with the Latvian, so I couldn't resist translating it in a quite literal manner. Kinda - read between the lines :)!

Tarp traukinių bėgių aguona žydėsiu,
  Starp traucošamies vilcieniem magone ziedēšu,
Akliems mašinistams skirsiu dainas
  Aklajiem mašīnistiem atšķiršu dziesmas
Giedosiu, giedosiu, giedosiu, giedosiu,
  Dziedāšu, dziedāšu, dziedāšu, dziedāšu,
Nors jie niekada nesupras.
  Kaut arī tiem nekad nesaprast.

Tarp traukinių bėgių aguona žydėsiu,
  Starp traucošamies vilcieniem magone ziedēšu,
Ramybėje saugosiu kates numuštas.
  Rāmībā saudzēšu kaķus nomušītus.
Linguosiu, linguosiu, linguosiu, linguosiu,
  Līgošos, līgošos, līgošos, līgošos,
Kol rudeniai plyšaus ir verks į balas.
  Kamēr rudens plīsīs un raudās pārtopot purvājā.

Kai ateis mano mirtelė,
  Kā atnāks mana nāvīte
Ramuma ramuma ramu
  Rāmībā, rāmībā, rāmībā
ramuma ramuma ramu
ramuma ramuma-a...

4 comments:

Diana Zh said...

I love her songs. She is very talented and cool girl. Search for more songs: "Спи", "Lijo", "Nesvarbu"

Žāūčō said...

Yeah this is a really a value find for me, cos usually all the lithuanian songs in latvia are taken as a joke (usually played on radio in mornings to raise the mood for upcoming day :), but these ones just speak up to you so at no point you're not even considering it being funny.

Diana Zh said...

I am surprised to hear that Latvians make jokes from Lithuanians, from their songs I mean. We never make jokes of Latvian songs so loudly.

Žāūčō said...

The funniest thing is that I don't laugh no more - I just understand too much and it doesn't seem like a concatenation of the funny-wise-malformed Latvian words - just see more or less the whole picture - even that elnis-briedis swap is hard to laugh at no more. Now the biggest frustration is when I try to clarify my latvian-lithunian equations to someone and I realize from the very beginning that he/she isn't likely to get it what on earth am I talking about :D.
But talking about Alina's songs - my 2nd favorite is the one about the moon on which the deers are living and the bread is for free - such a sweet and a bit childish lyrics :).